Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mid Week Musings: Caps Face Another Tough Test in Cali

First to all my readers, my apologies for no live blogs this week during the Caps' West coast swing. The late start times just don't work with my crazy, 6 a.m. wakeup, boys to school and me to work, sports, etc. schedule. I was able to catch most of Monday's game against Phoenix, but truth be told, I needed toothpicks to hold my eyelids open because once again, the boys just played yet another uninspired game. The Caps face another roadblock when they face the Anaheim Ducks tonight, and they'll do so without the services of Mike Green. Green is still having inner ear issues resulting from the puck to the ear he took against the Pens. But on the other end, the Ducks will be without their starting net minder, Jonas Hiller. Hiller is dealing with recurrent lightheadedness, which is a little concerning.

Maybe if I don't watch tonight, the Caps will miraculously dig up their power play from whatever rock it's been hiding under since last season. Caps Nation is one divided these days, as the team continues to struggle. Some fans and media think a personnel shake up of some sort is in order (HM is among those who think the team needs to make some moves before the February 28 trade deadline) while others are content to wait until the playoffs to see if the boys can ramp it up. My other opinion, for what it's worth, is that there should be NO optional practices as long as the spark remains missing in action. And in his role as captain, Ovechkin should be at all practices unless he's injured or sick. Don't even get me started on Alex Semin taking the "option" - the hardest worker on the assembly line he is not. For cripes sake, I've watched my boys do "bag skates" (also dubbed 30-second drills) after losses, and they aren't playing hockey for a living.

Here are just a few items of discourse regarding the current state of the Capitals that I found interesting, and am very much in agreement with much of OFB's assessment:

So even though things aren't going as planned, we need to keep things in perspective and find a way to smile (even through tears). Well, several of the Caps brought smiles to the faces of disabled children through Hockey for Hope last Friday at Kettler Capitals Iceplex as they took to the ice with the kids for a hockey clinic. USA Hockey also had a feature on this extraordinary program.

No comments: