TGIF, hockey fans - we made it to the end of another week and almost to the end of another regular season!
The Capitals have two regular season games remaining and unfortunately for Gabby (who's monitoring the Eastern Conference race very closely), looks like we won't know our first round opponent until Sunday. The Bruins moved themselves into the sixth spot last night with their 3-1 win over Buffalo, while the Rangers and Flyers will duke it out twice this weekend to determine which one gets to go to the big dance. Personally, HM is putting her money on the Broad Street Bullies - despite their goaltending issues, looks like Jeff Carter will return to the lineup giving them an offensive boost. So as we wait for another puck drop at Verizon Center where the Capitals take on the Thrashers tonight, here's some Friday fun stuff for reading enjoyment:
- The Capitals will will celebrate their first Presidents’ Trophy at tonight's game against the Atlanta Thrashers. The Capitals will have a brief pregame on-ice ceremony unveiling the Presidents’ Trophy – given each year to the team with the best record in the NHL – before the game then share it with their fans at Verizon Center and Kettler Capitals Iceplex the next two days. The trophy will be on display throughout Friday’s game on the concourse between sections 107 and 108 and during Sunday’s game against Boston behind section 119. The trophy will also make a trip out to Kettler Capitals Iceplex in Arlington, Va., on Saturday for the Capitals’ 11 a.m. practice. The trophy will be on display at Kettler Capitals Iceplex from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. Fans will be able to take photographs of the trophy while it is on display free of charge at either Kettler Capitals Iceplex or Verizon Center. HM can't wait to see what that bad boy looks like!
- Sidney gets 50? Nope. (But he did reach the 500 point mark darn it)
- Jose Theodore gets a well-deserved nomination from the Washington chapter of the PHWA for the Masterston Trophy. Great piece on Jose and his nomination over at Japer's Rink - but be forwarned that you may need a tissue box nearby before you start reading. We are proud of you Theo!
-One of the greatest American-born players to ever play the game gets emotional during a thunderous standing ovation from Dallas Stars fans. Mike Modano has hinted that last night may have been his last game as he ponders retirement - he relives some of the highlights of his spectacular career to the cheers of thousands last night and fittingly, scored the GWG in a shoot out:
- Congratulations to all the teams participating in the 2010 Pee Wee Ice Hockey Nationals locally here in Ashburn and Reston, Virginia. HM is sending a special shout out to the 1997 Ashburn Xtreme team - go kick some butts boys! Also, a big Hocky Mom high five to one of the best youth coaches we've had the pleasure to work with as he was named the Loudoun County High School Coach of the Year.
- And finally, there's just something about a goalie fighting that tugs at HM's heart strings. Check out the Lightning's Mike Smith attempt to beat down Ottawa bad boy Chris Neil - next time Smith needs to foil up his knuckles: