But to wrap up what's been a most trying week for the Capitals' faithful, here are a few random nuggets:
- No surprises here - Alex Ovechkin has been nominated for the Hart Trophy for the third consecutive year. My prediction (though not a popular one) is that it will go to Henrik Sedin.
- Brooks Laich is awesome - and a good citizen too. This feel-good story will bring a smile to your face and reinforces the reasons we love hockey players. Just regular Joes for the most part.
- Sergei Fedorov shares his insight on the Capitals collapse over at Puck Daddy.
- After the smoke clears, don't expect drastic firings in the Caps front office or massive changes to the Capitals roster. Small tweaks will hopefully do the trick.
- Could this be the year the San Jose Sharks finally break their own President's Trophy curse? Thanks to help from a hot Joe Pavelski, the Sharks downed the Wings 4-3 in Game 1.
- As far as the Western Conference goes, HM is sporting the Canucks blue as Vancouver meets their heated rivals the Chicago Blackhawks in a rematch from last season's playoffs. All of my readers know of my love for the dynamic duo of Henrik and Daniel Sedin (it's a twin mom thing I think, but whatever magical twin powers they've got going on, it's amazing to watch). Wonder twin powers - Release!
- And on a not-so-happy note, the Capitals will return to Kettler today to clean out their lockers for a wondrous season that came to an abrupt end all too soon. Will share any interesting tidbits I hear from this sad rite of passage.