Friday, August 15, 2008

HOT Indeed!

Not that I'm telling you anything new, but the Washington Capitals are one hot ticket! Check out Tarik's piece in today's Washington Post. As HM's day job is in the marketing field, it doesn't take a marketing genius to figure out that a 93% season ticket holder renewal rate is a pretty decent ROI for the Caps' promotional efforts! I was a little bummed to see that lower bowl tickets went up a tad - but hey, my motto has always been "you get what to pay for" and Caps fans are paying to see some of the most fantabulous players in the NHL. Everytime I take my guys to a game, I think about the fact that we're watching NHL history in the making by having the privilege to see Ovechkin play. However, Hockey Mom has become what I call a "seat snob" and even if I have to sell off prized possessions (with the exception of my shoe collection or my Washington Capitals Mr. Potato Head), I'll pay to sit in the lower bowl for a better view of the action. Yes, I am one of those people who orders a drink with about 158 descriptors at Starbucks too. Sometimes they just write "high maintenance mocha" on my cup - then again, you get what you pay for - right?

P.S. Speaking of my Caps Mr. Potato Head, that was one of the most clever promotional giveaways I saw at a game last season (with the exception of the red mullet, of course). And no, Hockey Mom did not mug a young fan to get one, we got an extra one at the door. I hope the Caps run that promotion again this year, only I'd like to get my own Mr. Potato Head mullet - like the one that comes with the Detroit Red Wings' version!

No comments: